Monday, February 27, 2023

Blog Post #2 - Why Journalism?

It is difficult to identify the specific moment my interest in news began. From the time I was a young girl, I was fascinated with the emergence of technology and the idea of mass media. I even broadcasted my morning announcements in elementary school as a fifth grader.

My passion for journalism only continued to grow from here. In middle and high school, I continued to pursue my love for film production and broadcast. I participated in my high school's weekly news broadcast, CRN Rider News, both in front of the camera and behind.

I knew that I wanted to continue studying journalism throughout college and develop a professional skill set that will allow me to pursue a career in this field.

With a focus in broadcast news, I have come to enjoy watching and listening to those on channels such as ABC News, Fox News, and CNN.


Recently, I have enjoyed following and learning from news anchor Caroline Collins. She provides an interesting look into the lifestyle of a news anchor through her short 30 second-1 minute TikTok videos. She currently works as an evening news anchor for FOX26 out of Houston, TX.

Not only have I learned different tips and techniques from her videos but have truly grown to admire her energetic spirit and passion for what she does.

Last semester at High Point University, I joined the HPU Vision club where I helped produce and anchor on HPU All Access, HPU In The Morning, and Point Blank. I entered each show with a positive and eager spirit hoping to learn from the upperclassmen and gain more experience.

In my future, I know I would love to work either behind or in-front of the camera. It's hard to say right now exactly what I want to be doing in the next five to ten years, but I feel that is the beauty about the degree I'm pursuing. I don't have to have all the answers yet and can use my degree in a variety of ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Post #10 - Margaret Bourke-White

  Margaret Bourke-White played a key role in the history and development of quality journalism. She was born in New York City in 1904 and g...